Life is all about balance, and Christmas should be a time for celebrating! That being said, by following a few simple rules, you can enjoy the festive season without the festive hangover. The constant food and drink on offer during the lead up to the actual day is more often than not the culprit to overdoing it. The key is to the nibble smart. Zoe, a nutritionist and founder of Find Your Glow shares her top tips below.
- Make sure you have a healthy, protein and vegetable rich snack before you go out so you are not relegated to chasing the deep fried canapés.
- When entertaining opt for dips free of seed oil (inflammatory) and instead dip your veggie sticks into tahini based hummus or homemade guacamole.
- A small handful of nuts are great- but remember they are calorie full so easy to overdo. Instead, for your protein (ie tummy filling) hit choose fresh seafood (just one oyster hits your daily zinc requirement) over the deep fried chicken wings, top some seeded crackers with the side salad, and steer clear of the preservative and nitrate filled deli meats, salty cheeses and white bread sticks.
- Finally, make sure you alternate every alcohol drink with a sparkling water. Before bed, sip on some coconut water or a large glass of warm water with a pinch of salt before bed to replace lost electrolytes, and then have a squeeze of lemon in green tea the morning after– both stimulate liver function, and adding lemon can increase the absorption of anti-oxidants from green tea by 300%!
- Support your liver with some liver herbs such as St Mary’s Thistle, Globe Artichoke and Dandelion (swap your coffee for some dandy tea), whilst N-acetyl Cysteine can help restore liver damage.
Web – Find Your Glow
Social – Instagram